The village of Kemence lies roughly 90 km from Budapest, on the Western side of the Börzsöny Mountain, in the lower region of the Ipoly Valley, close to the Slovakian border. This settlement of 1174 inhabitants, which used to be the seat of the historical county of Hont in the 18th century, and currently belongs to Pest County, is the number one tourist center of the region.
The Kacár Homestead can be found at Szokolya, at the foot of the Börzsöny Range. It is located on the edge of the village, on a raised plateau which offers a wonderful view over the surrounding district.
The whole homestead – we could even call it an estate – is the result of our manual labors over many years.
All the buildings have been (and are being) built using natural materials such as mud, timber, straw, reeds, hay etc.
We recommend that you take the wind, the sun and the fresh air, which are our constant companions, into consideration when deciding what to wear – even to the extent of bringing a change of clothes.
This artificial, four hectare lake is located in the close vicinity of the village of Kóspallag by the foot of Börzsöny Mountain in Pest County. To visit the lake, take the M2 motorway from Budapest to Vác, and then take motorway 12 until you reach the fork in the road by Kóspallag.
The Nagybörzsöny Narrow Gauge Railway Train is a mountain train with a uniquely designed railway track, and the only operating switchback railway in Hungary to date. It currently twists and turns between Nagybörzsöny and Nagyírtás on a 8 km track.
The settlement that lent its name to the Királyrét Forest Railway is actually part of the settlement of Szokolya located at the Southern foot of Magas-Börzsöny, in the inner region of Börzsöny Mountain. The final terminal of this narrow gauge railway train is easily accessible in the village of Kismaros, located on the left bank of the Danube, 50 km from Budapest.
For larger groups, we offer our out-door ovens for baking flat bread and all kinds of oven-baked dishes.
Nagybörzsöny, or Deutschpilsen as it is known in German, lies in the serene and quiet Ipoly Valley, to the west of the Börzsöny Mountain, and is a favorite tourist spot among many who visit the Danube Bend. The name of this settlement can be traced back to 13th century charters, and in 1417, King Sigismund gave the settlement mining rights and brought Saxon settlers from Germany to mine for precious metals. By 1493, the settlement was considered a mining town, but by the end of the 1700s, it was converted into a country town that was well-known for its agriculture for centuries onward – it was famous for its wine, for example, until the grape plantations were devastated by grape phylloxera.
As one enters the village, there is a wine cellar and press-house on the right-hand side to give a warm welcome to visitors.
The Börzsöny Narrow Gauge Train (originally called the Szob Farm Train) runs in the Börzsöny region between Szob and Márianosztra. It was originally intended as a farm train with its 760 mm track gauge and one-track line when the railway tracks were built in 1912. In 1953, Hungarian Railways (MÁV) assumed control of the railways; however, freight traffic stopped completely in 1992, and the tracks fell into disuse, until they were renovated in 2006 to encourage tourism in the area. The official opening of the railway line took place on 1st May 2008; however, regular transit only began a year later, on 18th July 2009.